Library News and Events
Library Services during the Stay Safe order
To protect public health and slow transmission of COVID-19 the library building is currently closed to the public. Many services are still available including circulation via our pickup window.
- Available Monday through Friday, 10 AM until 5 PM and Saturday 10 AM - 2 PM.
- By phone: 218-387-1140
- By email: email@example.com
- We can help you
- Find information
- Manage your account
- Download digital books, audios, and magazines
- Place requests using our online catalog
- Contact Library Director Amanda St John at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Pickup Window is available for borrowing library materials. Learn more.
- You may return items to our outdoor drop box.
- View a list of collections and services still available during the pandemic.
Introducing summer stacks--A grab bag for adults!Going on July through September 2020
A Summer Stack is a grab bag of library materials that we hand-select for you based on the interests and preferences you specify when you sign up. It’s a fun way to connect with library staff, stretch your reading habits, and explore the collection this summer.
Your grab bag automatically includes 4 – 6 books. Then, you can choose to stack on audiobooks, DVDs, and/or magazines for up to 12 items. Come back each month, July through September, to receive a fresh mix of content.
Ready to stack it up? CLICK HERE to sign up, or call us at (218) 387-1140.
Under 18? Sign up here Summer Reading book bundles.
Summer reading program
It's time to Read, Investigate, and Discover with Grand Marais Public Library's Summer Reading Program.
Kids ages zero to 18 can choose between three styles of reading logs, and the welcome packs can be mailed or prepared for pick up at the library based on your preferences. This year, families have the additional option of receiving regular book bundles curated by a librarian for each child!
Sign up in one of two ways:
- Register online.
- Register by phone: Call 218-387-1140
Follow the library on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/GrandMaraisLibrary/) and the library’s youth services Instagram @gmlibraryyouth to keep up with library events and more.
One Book | One Minnesota: Chapter 2!A statewide community read now
One Book | One Minnesota is presented by The Friends of the Saint Paul Public Library, as the Minnesota Center for the Book, in partnership with State Library Services. Wrote The Friends, "When we started this program ... with Because of Winn-Dixie, it was in response to the isolation and resource gaps created by the COVID-19 pandemic.... Since then, the Minneapolis police murdered George Floyd, and led by Black community members and activists, the world erupted in grief, protest, and perhaps finally a reckoning that we must confront institutional and systemic racism – and that means all of us."
Reading this book in community offers some Minnesotans the opportunity to see their experiences broadly shared and others a chance to educate themselves—and to discover ways to act on their convictions. We are fortunate that Minnesota is home to many talented writers whose work can inform and guide us on this journey.
- Download through EBooks Minnesota--NO WAITING
- Call the library to get on the wait list for a physical copy: 218-387-1140
- Stay tuned for details regarding the statewide virtual book discussion
HWY 61 reconstruction project
Learn more about the HWY 61 project through the series of short video conversations below, which address the scope of the project and upcoming work.
You can also join MnDOT's weekly Thursday 1 pm update. Instructions are available at:
Information about the 2020 census
The 2020 Census has begun. The official website, provided by the Census Bureau, is prepared with information about the process and value of participating in the survey, which happens once every 10 years.
- Official Website for the 2020 U.S. Census: https://2020census.gov/
Additionally, Grand Marais Public Library will act as Cook County's Questionnaire Assistance Center. As such, we will supply Wi-Fi access, as well as support in accessing the online survey site. Library staff are not Census Bureau employees. Our aim is ensuring everyone who wants to access the survey can.
Questions about how to answer the 2020 Census can be directed to Census Bureau staff at 844-330-2020 from 6AM to Midnight Central Standard Time or visit our Language Support page for help in additional languages.
mail-a-book program for county residentsListen to this short WTIP audio clip
County folks, we know it can be difficult to return books to Grand Marais Public Library on time. Did you know you can borrow paperback books and other materials from the Arrowhead Library System via u.s. mail free of charge?
The items come to your mailbox; you return them through your mailbox. The same is true for city residents in assisted living. ALS Executive Director Jim Weikum joins Tracy Benson on WTIP to explain:
online tech help videos
Over 40 Tech Support videos offer short, straight-forward instructions on a variety of topics, including:
- Copy and paste
- Make a phone call from your GMAIL account--for free.
- Attach a file to your email
- Crop your photos
Library gets a New strategic plan, mission, taglineWinter 2017
With much help from the community, the Grand Marais Public Library completed a strategic planning process this year that will guide our actions for the next five years.
Our new mission is:
The Grand Marais Public Library increases knowledge, inspires creativity, removes barriers, and builds community across Cook County.
Our tagline is:
EXPLORE. LEARN. CREATE. CONNECT.
Our priority goals are:
- The community will increase understanding and appreciation of the full range of human diversity.
- The community will have increased knowledge and utilization of library resources and programs throughout the county.
- People will enjoy a comfortable environment that gives them a sense of community belonging.
- Young children will develop a love of reading and improve their literacy.